miércoles, 27 de febrero de 2008

Dying words of famous people

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . ." (Killed in battle during US Civil War.)
General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, d. 1864

"Thomas Jefferson...still survives..." (Actually, Jefferson had died earlier that same day.)
John Adams, US President, d. July 4, 1826

"Is it not meningitis?"
Louisa M. Alcott, writer, d. 1888

"Am I dying or is this my birthday?" (When she woke briefly during her last illness and found all her family around her bedside)
Lady Nancy Astor, d. 1964

"Codeine . . . bourbon."
Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

"How were the receipts today at Madison Square Garden?"
P. T. Barnum, entrepreneur, d. 1891

"I can't sleep."
James M. Barrie, author, d. 1937

"Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow such a conventional thing to happen to him."
John Barrymore, actor, d. May 29, 1942

"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."
Humphrey Bogart, actor, d. January 14, 1957

"I am about to -- or I am going to -- die: either expression is correct."
Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian, d. 1702

"Ah, that tastes nice. Thank you."
Johannes Brahms, composer, d. April 3, 1897

"I am still alive!Stabbed to death by his own guards."
Gaius Caligula, Roman Emperor, d.41 AD

"I'm bored with it all." (Before slipping into a coma)
Winston Churchill, statesman, d. January 24, 1965

"That was the best ice-cream soda I ever tasted."
Lou Costello, comedian, d. March 3, 1959

"My God. What's happened?"
Diana (Spencer), Princess of Wales, d. August 31, 1997

"Do you hear the rain? Do you hear the rain?" (Minutes before her plane crashed.)
Jessica Dubroff, seven-year-old pilot, d. 1996

"I've never felt better."
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., actor, d. December 12, 1939

"I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring."
Richard Feynman, physicist, d. 1988

"I've had a hell of a lot of fun and I've enjoyed every minute of it."
Errol Flynn, actor, d. October 14, 1959

"I know you have come to kill me. Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man." (Facing his assassin, Mario Teran, a Bolivian soldier.)
Ernesto "Che" Guevara, d. October 9, 1967

"God will pardon me, that's his line of work."
Heinrich Heine, poet, d. February 15, 1856

"Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees." (Killed in error by his own troops at the battle of Chancellorsville during the US Civil War.)
General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, d. 1863

"Why do you weep. Did you think I was immortal?"
Louis XIV, King of France, d. 1715

"I am a Queen, but I have not the power to move my arms."
Louise, Queen of Prussia, d. 1820

"Let's cool it brothers . . ." (Spoken to his assassins, 3 men who shot him 16 times.)
Malcolm X, Black leader, d. 1966

"Go on, get out - last words are for fools who haven't said enough."
Karl Marx, revolutionary, d. 1883

"It's all been very interesting."
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, writer, d. 1762

"Good-bye . . . why am I hemorrhaging?"
Boris Pasternak, writer, d. 1959

"Here am I, dying of a hundred good symptoms."
Alexander Pope, writer, d. May 30, 1744

"I have a terrific headache." (He died of a cerebral hemorrhage.)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, US President, d. 1945

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ."
Dylan Thomas, poet, d. 1953

"I feel here that this time they have succeeded."
Leon Trotsky, Russian revolutionary, d. 1940

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
Pancho Villa, Mexican revolutionary, d. 1923

"Go away. I'm all right."
H. G. Wells, novelist, d. 1946

"Either that wallpaper goes, or I do."
Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900

"If someone is going to kill me, they will kill me." (When arriving to Dallas)
John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 1963

No hay comentarios: